Saturday, October 10, 2026

Sumatra Tour Guide’s Journey with the Bron Family from Switzerland



When I received the assignment to accompany the Bron family from Switzerland on their journey through North Sumatra, I knew that my responsibility as a Sumatra Tour Guide would be more than taking them from one destination to another.

The family consisted of a mother and her two sons. Their journey followed a program that covered Medan, Tangkahan, Bukit Lawang, Berastagi, and Samosir Island on Lake Toba.

Each destination offered something different. There were opportunities to explore the jungle, learn about local life, discover the landscapes of North Sumatra, and experience the culture of the Batak people.

But what made this journey memorable for me was not only the places we visited. It was the way I learned to communicate with them and understand what they wanted from their trip.

The Bron family did not use English very often. Sometimes, I needed to repeat my explanations or find simpler words to help them understand what I was saying.

So, I tried to speak more slowly.

I paid attention to their expressions and gave them time to process the information. When necessary, I explained things in a different way.

For me, being a Sumatra Tour Guide means understanding that not every guest communicates in the same way. Some travellers speak English fluently, while others feel more comfortable using their own language. A guide needs to adjust, rather than expect every guest to understand everything immediately.

I did not want the language barrier to prevent us from having conversations.

After all, travelling is also about learning from one another.

A Family That Always Had Questions

The Bron family was curious about many things.

As we travelled through North Sumatra, they often asked questions about the places we passed, the people we met, and the activities they experienced.

Their curiosity made me realize that they did not simply want to follow a schedule. They wanted to understand more about the places they were visiting.

Sometimes, a question came up while we were travelling by car. At other times, it appeared when we arrived at a destination or when I was explaining something about the local culture.

I tried to answer as clearly as possible, using simple English that they could understand.

Of course, explaining something in a second language is not always easy, especially when I need to make sure that the other person understands the meaning, not just the words.

But I enjoyed the process.

Every question gave me an opportunity to share something about North Sumatra. It also reminded me that a tour guide needs more than knowledge of destinations. Communication, patience, and the willingness to listen are equally important.

I learned to slow down, not only my speech but also the pace of my explanations.

There was no need to rush through every story.

If the guests wanted to know more, I was happy to spend additional time talking with them.

When the Guests Wanted More Than the Program

Our journey followed a planned itinerary, but the family's interests sometimes went beyond what was written in the program.

One example was their wish to go trekking on Samosir Island.

Trekking was not included in the original program, but they wanted to explore more of the island. They were interested in experiencing its natural surroundings rather than limiting their visit to the usual sightseeing stops.

They asked me to accompany them.

For me, this was an important part of being a local Sumatra Tour Guide. A tour program provides a useful structure, but guests may discover new interests once they arrive at a destination.

Sometimes, a place makes them curious about something they had not considered before the trip. Sometimes, they simply want to spend more time outdoors or experience a destination at a slower pace.

When possible, I try to help them explore those interests.

Of course, activities outside the original itinerary need to be discussed and arranged according to the available time, transportation, safety, and other practical considerations. But when everything can be arranged, I believe these additional experiences can make a journey more meaningful.

For the Bron family, trekking offered another way to experience Samosir.

For me, it was also an opportunity to accompany them beyond the usual sightseeing program and share more of the place where I work and live.

Samosir is not only a destination known for Lake Toba's beautiful scenery. It is also an island where visitors can discover village life, local traditions, agricultural landscapes, and the everyday experiences of the people who call it home.

I want travellers to see those things, too.

Being a Guide Means Being Flexible

Working as a tour guide has taught me that no two groups are exactly alike.

Some guests prefer a tightly organized schedule. They want to visit the main attractions, take photographs, and move on to the next destination.

Others want to ask many questions, explore places more deeply, or spend extra time doing an activity that catches their interest.

The Bron family reminded me of the importance of flexibility.

My responsibility was to help them follow their travel program while also listening to their requests. I needed to communicate clearly, manage our time, and consider what could realistically be arranged.

At the same time, I had to make sure that the journey remained comfortable for everyone.

When guests do not speak English very often, these responsibilities become even more important. A guide needs to make sure that instructions are understood, especially when discussing meeting points, travel arrangements, activity plans, and safety.

Speaking slowly may seem like a small thing, but it can make a real difference.

I believe that guests should feel comfortable asking questions, even when they do not know the right English words. They should not feel embarrassed about asking me to repeat something.

Communication is not about showing how well a guide speaks English. It is about helping people understand one another.

That is the approach I try to bring to every journey.

Sharing North Sumatra, One Conversation at a Time

The route from Medan to Tangkahan, Bukit Lawang, Berastagi, and Samosir showed the Bron family different sides of North Sumatra.

In Tangkahan and Bukit Lawang, travellers can experience the tropical rainforest and learn about the natural environment. Berastagi offers a different landscape, with its highland atmosphere and agricultural surroundings. On Samosir Island, visitors can discover the scenery of Lake Toba and the cultural heritage of the Batak people.

As a Sumatra Tour Guide, I see these destinations as more than points on a map.

Each place offers an opportunity to introduce visitors to the region's natural environment, culture, and local communities.

But I also understand that visitors experience a destination in their own way. One traveller may be fascinated by traditional houses. Another may want to learn about farming. Someone else may prefer walking through nature and observing daily life.

My job is to help them make the most of their time while respecting their interests and the practical limits of the trip.

With the Bron family, I tried to do that by listening, explaining things patiently, and helping them explore beyond the original schedule when possible.

I could not assume that they would understand every explanation the first time. Instead, I needed to find a way to communicate that worked for them.

That experience reminded me that a successful tour is not measured only by the number of attractions visited.

It also depends on whether guests feel comfortable, whether their questions are welcomed, and whether they have the opportunity to experience something meaningful.

Why I Love Being a Sumatra Tour Guide

Every assignment brings a different challenge.

Sometimes, I need to explain complicated information in simple English. Sometimes, I have to answer unexpected questions. Sometimes, guests want to change their plans or explore something that was not included in the original itinerary.

These situations require patience and flexibility, but they are also part of what makes my work interesting.

I enjoy meeting people from different countries and learning about their interests. I enjoy introducing them to North Sumatra and helping them understand the places they visit.

Most importantly, I want them to feel that they can communicate with me, even when we do not speak English at the same level.

My name is Damayanti Sinaga, and I work as a Sumatra Tour Guide, introducing travellers to Lake Toba, Samosir Island, and other destinations in North Sumatra.

For me, guiding is not simply about knowing the roads, arranging visits, or explaining the history of a place.

It is also about listening to guests, adjusting to their needs, and being willing to help them discover more than they initially expected.

The journey with the Bron family reminded me that sometimes the most meaningful parts of a tour are not written in the itinerary.

They happen when a guest asks an unexpected question, when we find a way to understand one another despite a language barrier, or when a traveller wants to explore a place a little further.

And sometimes, they happen when I am asked to walk alongside my guests on a trekking route in Samosir, sharing the experience of discovering the island together.

I am Damayanti, a Sumatra Tour Guide. My goal is not only to show travellers where to go, but also to help them feel connected to the places and people they encounter along the way.

Written by Damayanti, Sumatra Tour Guide









































 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sumatra Tour Guide’s Journey with the Bron Family from Switzerland

When I received the assignment to accompany the Bron family from Switzerland on their journey through North Sumatra, I knew that my responsi...