Saturday, October 10, 2026

Discover Batak Culture and Traditions in Samosir, Lake Toba

   NINNA.ID-When Miranda, a solo female traveller from France, came to explore Samosir Island with me, I wanted her to experience more than just the beautiful scenery of Lake Toba. For me, travelling is not only about visiting places, taking pictures, and moving to the next destination. It is also about understanding the people, their history, their traditions, and the stories behind the places we visit.

I wanted Miranda to know Batak, not only as the name of an ethnic group, but as a people with a long history, strong family ties, rich traditions, and a culture that is still part of everyday life.

Our first day started with a visit to Kampung Ulos Hutaraja. In this traditional Batak village, local women continue to weave ulos, the traditional cloth that holds an important place in Batak culture.

Miranda from France visited my great-grandmother's traditional Batak house in Samosir — one of the most meaningful moments of our journey together.[/caption]

For the Batak people, traditions are not simply things from the past. Many of them are still practised today, especially during weddings, family gatherings, and traditional ceremonies.

But there was one place I was especially happy to show her.

It was my great-grandmother's traditional Batak house.

For me, this was the most special part of our day. I was not showing Miranda an ordinary tourist attraction. I was sharing a piece of my own family history with her.

I wanted her to see that behind the traditional houses of Samosir, there are real family stories, memories, and generations of people who have lived with these traditions. Our ancestral houses are not only about architecture. They remind us of where we come from and the importance of keeping our roots alive.

While we were exploring, I also shared stories about the Batak people and how outsiders have viewed them throughout history.

I told Miranda about historical accounts that described the Batak in ways that are very different from how many people experience Batak communities today.

Some old accounts, including stories associated with Marco Polo's travels, portrayed people in the interior of Sumatra as frightening or uncivilised. But history is more complicated than a single description written by an outsider.

I wanted Miranda to understand that to know a people, we should not depend only on old stories or other people's opinions. We should also meet them, listen to them, learn about their traditions, and understand how they live today.

The Batak people have different ethnic groups, including the Toba, Karo, Simalungun, Pakpak, Angkola, and Mandailing. Each has its own identity and traditions, while family and clan relationships play an important role in many Batak communities.

In Batak Toba culture, for example, knowing someone's clan, or marga, is often an important part of getting to know them. It helps people understand family connections and their place within a wider kinship system.

I find this part of Batak culture fascinating because it shows how much family relationships matter. Even when people meet for the first time, asking about their marga can open a conversation about their ancestors, relatives, and hometowns.

And of course, it is impossible to talk about the Batak people without talking about Lake Toba.

Lake Toba is much more than a beautiful lake surrounded by green hills. It is closely connected to the history, identity, and daily lives of the Batak communities who live around it. The landscape tells its own story, from traditional villages and ancestral houses to rice fields, coffee gardens, and the livelihoods of local families.

I wanted Miranda to see this connection between people and the land. The culture of Samosir cannot be separated from its landscape, just as the landscape cannot be fully understood without learning about the people who call it home.

A refreshing stop at Nai Sogop Waterfall with Miranda, enjoying the green landscape and peaceful atmosphere of the Batak highlands.

After Kampung Ulos Hutaraja, we continued our journey to Nai Sogop Waterfall. The atmosphere was different there. We were surrounded by green vegetation, rocky cliffs, and the sound of falling water. It was a lovely opportunity to enjoy nature, take photographs, and relax together.

We also stopped to enjoy a local meal. I always enjoy introducing travellers to local food because I believe that food is another way to understand a place. A meal can become an opportunity to talk about our different cultures, daily lives, and experiences.

Travelling is also about tasting local food, sharing stories, and enjoying simple moments with people from different parts of the world.[/caption]

What I enjoyed most about travelling with Miranda was the opportunity to share these stories along the way. I was not simply giving information about each destination. I was helping her connect the places she visited with the people, history, and traditions behind them.

As a local guide, I know that every traveller has different interests. Some want to enjoy nature, some are interested in history, and others want to meet local people and understand a different way of life. I try to bring these experiences together so that each journey feels personal rather than just following a list of tourist attractions.

For solo female travellers, I also understand how valuable it can be to explore a new destination with someone who knows the area. Having a local guide means you can ask questions, learn about local customs, discover places beyond the usual tourist stops, and enjoy a more personal experience along the way.

I am Damayanti, a local Sumatra tour guide. My work is not only about showing visitors where to go. I want to help them understand why these places matter to the people who live here.

Miranda came from France to discover Samosir and Lake Toba. During our first day together, I shared the beauty of the landscape, the stories of the Batak people, and a place that is especially meaningful to me: my great-grandmother's traditional house.

For me, that is what makes a journey memorable. You may forget the name of a road or the exact place where you took a photograph, but the stories you hear and the connections you make can stay with you for a long time.

If you are a solo female traveller planning to explore Lake Toba and Sumatra, I would be happy to accompany you. Let me introduce you to my homeland through its people, culture, nature, local food, and stories that you may not discover by travelling alone.

Come to Samosir. Meet the Batak. And let me share with you the Sumatra that I know and call home.

By Damayanti | Local Sumatra Tour Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sumatra Tour Guide’s Journey with the Bron Family from Switzerland

When I received the assignment to accompany the Bron family from Switzerland on their journey through North Sumatra, I knew that my responsi...